The FireOPAL cables provide power the computer inside the FireOPAL enclosure and connect the PCB to the computer and the camera.
DC Connector to Input of Relay
- 1x 2 row 8 way Molex Minifit Jr. Connector Housing
- 2x 18-24 AWG Molex Minifit Jr. Crimp Contact Female
- 1x length 185mm Yellow 18 AWG wire
- 1x length 185mm Black 18 AWG wire
- 1x 02x05 IDC Connector Housing
- 10x Harwin M20 Female Crimp contacts
- 1x length 155mm purple 22? AWG wire
- 1x 22-28? AWG Molex Minifit Jr. Crimp Contact Female
Strip one end of yellow and black wires and crimp 18-24 AWG Molex Minifit Jr. Contacts on one end. Once crimped, insert two wires into 2 row 8 way Molex Minifit Jr. connector Housing as pictured in the image below.
With the connector horizontal, with the side where contacts are inserted facing the user and the clip on top, the crimped wires are inserted on the left-hand side of the connector. Yellow wire is inserted in the top row and the black wire is inserted in the same, left-most column, on the bottom row.
Strip the purple wire and crimp 18-24? AWG Molex Minifit Jr. Contact on one end. Insert into bottom right corner of the Molex Minifit Jr. Connector Housing oriented as described previously (Contact insert side facing user and clip facing up).
Strip other end of purple wire and crimp M20 22-28 AWG Harwin Contacts to wire. Take M20 02x05 IDC Connector Housing and insert the crimped wire into contact number 1 (marked by arrow on black housing). A connector housing with the wire inserted in the proper position is pictured below. Note the position marker in the image.
For the same connector, take one contact, crimp it and fill the end opposite to the where the cable would sit with solder. This contact is inserted in the position opposite to position 1 (where purple wire is inserted) on the same row. The contact ensures the right orientation of the connector when it is plugged in the computer motherboard. Crimp contacts without any cables inserted to fill the rest of the positions in the connector. A finalised connector is illustrated in the image below.
Strip other ends of black and yellow wires and crimp 3mm - Red - ring terminals. Connect terminals to the smaller solid state relay terminals facing away from the plate bend. The terminal locations are highlighted in the image below.
Relay OUT to ceramic block connector - 16AWG
- 2x length yellow 16 AWG wire 105mm long
- 1x blue fork terminal
- 1x blue ring terminal
Trim one end of both wires. Slightly twist together, insert into ring terminal and crimp. Similarly, strip other ends of wires and slightly twist wires. Take wires and insert in fork terminal and crimp. Pictured is a final cable.
6 Pin DC Power connector
Original 6 pin Molex Minifit Jr. Connector - black colour
- 6x 16 or 18-24AWG Molex Minifit Jr. Crimp Contact Female
- 2x 16 AWG yellow wire xx mm
- 2x 16 AWG black wire xx mm
- 1x blue ring terminal 5mm
- 1x blue fork terminal 5mm
- Strip one end of both yellow wire lengths and insert both ends into blue ring terminal and crimp.
- Strip other end of both yellow wire lengths and crimp Molex Minifit Jr. contacts.
- Insert crimped contacts into 2 row 4 way Molex Minifit Jr. Connector Housing in the row closest to the fixing clip skipping the middle position.
- Connect ring terminal to left-most output of Solid state relay.
- Strip one end of both black wire lengths and insert both ends into blue fork terminal and crimp.
- Strip other end of both black wire lengths and crimp Molex Minifit Jr. contacts.
- Insert crimped contacts into 2 row 4 way Molex Minifit Jr. Connector Housing in the row away from the fixing clip skipping the middle position.
- Connect fork terminal to left-most position of ceramic connector.
SATA Power Cable
To create the SATA power cables that power the hard drives inside the FireOPAL, the following items are required.